Find some pictures of your immediate family. Try to think of some memorable experience you shared with each of them.
Write a list of words describing each of them.
Describe your relationship with your parents and siblings individually.
Did you have a special “role” to play in your family? The Baby? the Peacekeeper? Mother’s Helper? The Clever One? The Artistic one? Other? How did that role affect your life?
Don’t forget to find photos to go with these journaling ideas, if at all possible. If you don’t have one, you might find one on a stock photo sight that fits the emotion you feel at the time.
- Family traditions
- Family jokes
- Typical family activities
- Talents that run in the family
- Name some typical wisdoms i.e. things your mother always told you and what situations they applied to, such as “Money doesn’t grow on trees!”, or “Don’t run with scissors”
- Describe your childhood home, neighborhood
- Relationship with siblings
Finally, how old were you when you left your family and why did you leave?